Tāhuna – Queenstown Ambassador
“If you think the scenery and landscapes are amazing, wait ‘til you meet the people!”
Tāhuna- Queenstown Ambassador
Queenstown Ambassador is a workshop designed for all people engaging with both New Zealand and international visitors across the Whakatipu basin. The aim is to build a host community and create storytellers and ambassadors with real pride in their place – the Queenstown Lakes region.
Participants engage in a three-hour workshop delving into the history and unique story of Queenstown and surrounding areas, covering early people, key milestones, and industries, the economy as well as notable figures and landmarks that have contributed to shaping the region into what it is today. This bespoke programme also explores how to connect with visitors from key international visitor markets, ensuring they’re left with a positive and lasting impression of the Queenstown Lakes region.
The primary goal of Ambassador is to build your knowledge of history and locations around Queenstown, to proudly share, to extend your cross-cultural understanding to authentically connect with visitors, and to grow your business by providing simple tools to develop the overall visitor and customer experience. Ambassador is for everyone whether new to the area or you have lived here for a lifetime.
The programme is delivered on a fortnightly basis on Friday morning from 9am – 12pm, and costs $50 + GST per person. On successful completion of the programme and Ambassador quiz, participants will receive a Queenstown Ambassador lapel pin.
Ambassador is endorsed by Queenstown Chamber of Commerce, Destination Queenstown, Queenstown Lakes District Council, and the wider tourism and hospitality industry.
“The people of our district have always offered a warm welcome to visitors, whether they be fellow Kiwis or folk from around the world. This welcome stems from a pride in our heritage, a love of our landscape and our openness to sharing what makes our corner of Aotearoa New Zealand so special. I’m delighted to support the Ambassador Programme and encourage everyone to participate to deepen their understanding of our local stories.”
– Glyn Lewers, Mayor of Queenstown-Lakes District.
Participants will be able to:
- Discuss the history and korero of Queenstown and their contribution to the unique identity of the region.
- Identify key people and places that have shaped Queenstown into what it is today and learn how to effectively share these stories with visitors.
- Identify key milestones in Queenstown’s tourism industry and economy.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of creating a positive visitor experience, including the use of manaakitanga, kaitiakitanga and whanaungatanga.
- Develop skills and tools for connecting and communicating with people from different cultures and communities.
- Develop strategies for creating a welcoming environment for visitors that enhances the visitor experience and contributes to a better host community.
Tāhuna – Queenstown Ambassador
Timing & Cost:
- Friday, on a fortnightly basis, from 9am – 12pm
- $50 + GST per person
To book your place:
- Select ‘Book Now’
- If you would like to enquire about an ‘in-house’ Ambassador for your business, email: [email protected]
7 Coronation Drive